How To Start A Research Paper? An Easy Progressive Tip For Research Scholars
- Theodore Hammond By
- February 1, 2023
- 6 Min Read
“Always remember: the beginning is the hardest,”
Indeed, beginning any work is difficult, isn’t it? This also holds true in writing; every student feels stuck when writing an introduction for an essay, research paper, or any other form of academic writing. Since an introduction is the first thing readers see, any mistake can turn them off. So, being nervous is natural. The good news is that you can overcome this apprehension with little help and confidently write an introduction.
This article will walk you through the steps of writing an outstanding introduction to a research paper and provide some helpful tips.
What Is A Research Paper?
A research paper is a type of academic writing or a scholarly article that presents an in-depth evaluation or interpretation of a specific topic based on experiential evidence. The main objective of this paper is to provide the reader with a unique perspective on a topic rather than inform them of what other sources have to say about it.
When you get a research paper assignment, you must conduct deep research, locate information, take a stance, and provide evidence to back your view in the paper. Furthermore, you will have to evaluate the topic’s strengths and weaknesses to provide a deep analysis of the subject.
What Is A Research Paper Introduction?
The introduction section of a research paper is the foremost section of a paper that the readers read. This section presents the subject and gives an overview of the topic. It is useful in providing the context of the article. Apart from context, the introduction helps explain the topic and objectives and establishes the intent of the paper.
As we can see, the introduction is crucial in establishing the tone of the research paper and hooking the readers. Thus, one may find it challenging to write an effective introduction. However, we will solve this problem in the coming section.
How To Write An Effective Research Paper Introduction?
An introduction has the potential to make or break a paper; thus, many students falter due to nervousness or lack of preparation. While writing it is tricky, it is not an entirely impossible task. This section will guide you through the steps of writing a compelling introduction.
Before beginning to write, it is critical to understand the framework or outline of an introduction. Knowing what to include in the introduction ensures that all crucial information is covered and nothing is excluded. Here are the essential points that one should include in an introduction:
- Essay topic
- Background information
- The rationale behind the research
- Importance of the research
- Solid thesis statement
Write About The Research Paper Topic:
The introduction must start with a presentation of the topic. Simply put, you’ll have to tell what the research topic is. One best way to do this is by adding a hook sentence consisting of interesting statistics, facts, quote, anecdotes, etc. Ensure that the topic gives a brief overview of your research paper without revealing too many details.
Present Background Information:
Simply introducing your topic provides little information to the readers. So, provide some context to your topic by presenting relevant background information. Some writers present the research problem and its relevant studies, historical context, or simply an issue to give some meaningful context to the topic.
Provide A Rationale For Your Research Argument:
The rationale is an essential part of your introduction. You must explain why you wrote your research paper. This is because the reasoning you give can make people appreciate your take on the topic. Explain how your work fits into your research and how your rationale relates to any current issue.
Explain The Importance Of The Research:
A well-written introduction will give an overview of the paper and provides an opportunity for the reader to understand your topic better. Furthermore, an engaging introduction persuades the readers to keep reading. So, by including the importance of your research, you create curiosity among the readers. You can include the names of essential works you referred to in your research paper in the introduction.
Additionally, you can present a statistic or the possible benefits related to your work to highlight the importance of your research.
Create A Solid Thesis Statement:
An introduction must conclude with a strong thesis statement. This statement can be 1 or 2 sentences long, but not more than that. Your thesis statement must be clear, concise, logical, and reflect your main argument of the research paper. Also, it should support your ideas and make an impression on the reader.
Writing Tips On Starting A Research Paper
Here are some valuable tips that you can follow while writing an introduction for a research paper:
- Ensure that the length of your introduction is not too long or short. It must be as per the instructions given to you.
- The introduction should be 160 – 180 words long and constitute around 8% to 9% of the total words.
- The introduction should support your research findings.
- Refrain from explaining anything deeply in the introduction section. The introduction must be concise and sharp.
- Add a hook sentence that grabs the reader’s attention.
- Avoid complicated terms and irrelevant jargon. Instead, use simple language and words.
- Explain the research goals and why the reader must care whether the goal can be achieved.
- The introduction must provide a synopsis of the research paper.
- Establish your stance or point of view clearly in the introduction.
- Write a solid and concise thesis statement that supports your research paper.
How Do You Format The Research Paper Title Page In Various Formats?
One can format the title page of a research paper in APA and MLA formats as given below:
- Add a running head in the header of the page as follows – Place the “Running head:” label aligned to the left and add a shortened title (IN UPPERCASE LETTERS).
- Add the page number in the same header and align it to the right.
- The header must be placed 1 inch from the top 9 or even ½ inch).
- The title must be centered and placed on the first half of the page (upper half). The title should be in the title case.
- Your university’s name must be placed below your name and must be double-spaced.
- The text on the title page must be centered, and the page must be double-spaced.
- Include your college or university’s name.
- The research paper title must be added after skipping 1/3rd of the page. You may add a subtitle along with the title if you want.
- Write your name, course name and number, instructor’s name, and paper’s due date after skipping some lines (from the title).
Research Paper Introduction Example
The rise of social media usage has resulted in a drastic increase in body image issues among women and girls. This relationship between body image issues and social media has got immense academic attention, and likewise, there have been numerous studies on it. Several empirical studies on Facebook usage among adolescent girls have been conducted (Tiggermann & Slater, 2013; Meier & Gray, 2014). As per these studies, the interactive and visual facets of the platform have the most significant impact on body image issues. However, HVSM (highly visible social media) channels like Instagram have not yet been studied thoroughly. This research paper seeks to fill this gap. We have looked at how using Instagram every day affects the prevalence of body image issues in adolescent girls. Daily Instagram use was predicted to be associated with increased body image concerns and decreased self-esteem ratings.
A good introduction goes well with the rest of the research paper without any glitches, and as you can see, it is not difficult to write it. Fortunately, we have got you covered, and you can just follow the steps in this article, and use the tips to write an engaging introduction. Always keep your introduction concise, simple, and relatable.